The Suitcase Fund is New York Live Arts’ international artist and cultural worker exchange program. Offering artists and cultural workers from the U.S. and abroad indelible opportunities for conversation and collaboration, the Suitcase Fund forges an international artistic community and facilitates the exchange of best practices on a global scale. The Suitcase Fund was founded in 1985 by Dance Theater Workshop.
The Suitcase Fund receives generous support from the Trust for Mutual Understanding for projects in East/Central Europe, and the Robert Sterling Clark Foundation for projects in Africa and the Middle East.
Currently, the Suitcase Fund has projects and partnerships in Eastern/Central Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Previous projects have focused on South America and Asia.
Creative Residencies, where international artists come together in process-oriented exchange that focuses on artist practice rather than product.
Teaching Residencies, which bring U.S. teaching artists to schools and festivals worldwide.
Arts Management Fellowships at New York Live Arts teach arts managers from around the world about U.S. presenting and producing models.
Research and Planning Programs support the travel of international artists, presenters and administrators for curatorial research.
East/Central Europe Cultural Partnerships Program
- Research residency in NYC for "Limbo Limbo Dance" project with Sasa Asentic, Ana Vujanovic (Serbia) and U.S. artists TBD
August 25-September 24, 2011
- Creative residency in NYC with Iskra Sukarova (Macedonia) and Ursula Eagly (USA) in partnership with LOKOMOTIVA (Macedonia)
- Creative residencies in NYC and Bucharest for the development of the project "Available" by Cosmin Manolescu (Romania) in collaboration with HeJin Jang (USA) in partnership with Gabriela Tudor Foundation (Romania)
October 26-November 3, 2011
Africa and Middle East Cultural Partnerships Program
- One-week teaching new media workshops and public presentation by Marlon Barrios Solano (USA) at Takween workshop in Beirut in partnership with Maqamat (Lebanon)
October 3-8, 2011 takweencollective.wordpress.com
- Performances and teaching by Wendell Cooper (USA) at the Nairobi Festival of Solos and Duets in partnership with Dance Forum Nairobi, based at GoDown Arts Centre (Kenya)
October 19-29, 2011
- Three-weeks teaching and performances by Keith Hennessy (USA) at AEx-Corps workshops in Dakar in partnership with Association/Cie 1er Temps (Senegal)
November 1-20, 2011
Proposals to The Suitcase Fund are submitted by invitation and should meet the following criteria & eligibility:
- professional level contemporary dance organizations and/or artists engaging in international research, residency, teaching, and/or exchange activities
- involve a U.S. based artist(s)
- activities occur in the USA and/or any of the eligible countries*
- occur during the calendar year of January 2013 to December 2013
- request funding for travel-related expenses (international airfare, accommodation, ground transport, visa costs, per diem, etc) only. Please note that performance fees are not eligible for support.
*For a list of eligible countries, click here.